Monday, February 14, 2011

Diary of Madaléin O'Hara Harley

Mairine (mom) Isibeal (sister) and I.
I am Madaléin O'Hara Harley from Waterford, Ireland, who was born in April 21,1836. I study in Newton's School in Waterford city. My dreams are moving to a better place in which I could have a better future. Our life here is so miserable. There are many economic problems going on and too many diseases affecting people. 

Dear Diary:                                                        May 7, 1847.  
                                                                          Waterford, Ireland 
Today, I received the best news of all. My parents told me that we are finally moving to California, Us. I felt so happy. I could not believe that we are leaving this place in which people are starving and dying of diseases, because of the black fungus. Colin O'Hara and Mairine Harney, my parents, had work very hard to maintain us. Their salaries, are not so good, so that mean our economy its not the best. Also mom told me that her friend Beihbinn its very anxious to get to met Isibeal, my litter sister, and I. We are going to live at her house in U.S, while my parents could get a better job to buy our own property.  
                          
Dear Diary:                                                     June 3, 1846.  
                                                                       Waterford, Ireland
Immigrants getting aboard.
The day I had waited with anxiety had came. I am already prepared for this hard and long journey that is waiting for us. We had gave away all the stuff we had. I hope that all of this would be worth it. Also, I feel a little sad, because I would leave behind the place where I grow up and all my friends and other family members. 
Hours later....We are at the ship who is going to take us to the Americas. This place scares me. We are all crowded together in a room with about 900 people. Also, we had received an uncomfortable cot. There are not so many bathroom and they looked unsanitary. I ate some minutes ago. The food wasn't well cooked and they served me a little amount. I don't know how I will survive this trip.  

Dear Diary:                                                          September 7, 1847.  
                                                                             Ellis Island
I can't believe it! We were not deported back and finally we are here at Ellis Island. This has been a really tired trip. Before coming here, we went to Castle Island where we were processed. We had to wait there about two weeks. People were all crazy running with their packages all around. Then, we came here to go through medical examinations and to be interviewed. Some people who had contagious diseases were deported back. Now, we are waiting to be lead to some rent buildings until mom can communicate with Beihbinn to come and pick us up. 

Dear Diary:                                                         September 30, 1847.                                                                             LA, California
Since I get here, to Beihbinn's beautiful mansion, I had felt so comfortable and happy. Life at those buildings in Ellis Island were terrible. The four of us were crowded in one rented room, it didn't have windows neither air conditioner. Here, I have my own room all fixed up. Isibeal and I, are assisting to Celerity Troika Charter school were we had learn a lot of English speaking. After school, I go to work as a servant at Melisse Restaurant. I love working there, but I can't receive tips just because I came from Ireland. I don't like too much the school. Other students treat us as trash and insult us. Well, I need to get used to it, until those people could accept that we are normal people and we came here to have a better life. Dad is working building roads and mom at a chocolate factory. That's cool, because she brings one chocolate to us everyday Beihbinn is so sympathetic and treat us very kindly.
                                                                                   
Dear Diary:                                                              February 4, 1847. 
                                                                                LA, California
WOW! It had been a long time since I don't write on here. Right now, mom and dad had buy our own property not to far from Beihbinn. Its not too big as her's, but its comfortable for us. We assist to the same school and work at the same place. At school, students had treat us too much better than before. I have make a lot of new friends as well as in school and in the neighborhood. Life here had been so different. I love this place. Also, we have more free time. On the weekends, I go to tours by California with my family. They are so fun! Now, I need to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment